Are you looking to get your credit in order in order to prepare for a future mortgage? Here are a few “do’s” and “dont’s,” courtesy of Ken Chaplin from REwired:
1. Have your landlord report your on-time payments.
2. Use a low-interest credit card for minor purchases and fully pay it off each month.
3. Ensure you pay student loans on time each month.
4. Fix late payments as soon as you can.
5. Obtain your free credit report each year to monitor your credit.
6. Have patience — good credit doesn’t happen overnight!
1. Skip payments for utilities.
2. Buy a car beyond your needs – skip the add-ons and luxury options until you’re financially secure.
3. Sign up for credit cards you don’t need.
4. Have a big balance on any of your credit accounts.
5. Close old credit cards.